Summer 2017 Robo-Magellan Contest Event
This is the SRS 2nd annual run of the Summer Robo-Magellan contest – in 2016 was our 1st year; it was run at the Seattle Center.
This year we decided on a different venue – that the SRS is sure you will enjoy!
Event details –
Date for Summer contest run –
Saturday July 8, 2017 at Mercerdale Park in Mercer Island.
The SRS is part of the Mercer Island Summer Celebration!!!
The Mercer Island Summer Celebration runs from 11am to 7pm on Saturday; in the Mercerdale Park.
Hours for contest –
The SRS will hold the Robo-Magellan contest from noon to 6:30pm.
Noon to 1:30pm for Qualification \ Check-in.
2pm to 6:30pm for contest runs.
SRS location in the park –
The SRS designated area of the park will be at the skate park with the surrounding L shaped grass area – these two areas is where the contest will be held. These two segments of the park are near the Mercer Island Thrift Store and it’s parking lot.
Beyond these two areas of the park, robots and their spectators will not be able to use the rest of the park for the contest runs or general navigation.
The only official robot builder load\unload zone will be at the parking lot for the Mercer Island Thrift Store – the festival staff has asked us to only use this parking lot for this use\not to park here for the day’s event.
This area will allow a challenging course to be constructed where the robot will need to navigate obstacles, grass, trees, pavement and sand.
Plenty of restrooms will be available at the park – one plumbed building plus multiple porta-potties. They will all be located near the flag pole for easy access.
Handicap access –
Utilize the parking lot at the Mercer Island Thrift Store. On the edge of the lot that joins the park is the wheelchair ramp access. The festival staff has asked us to only use this parking lot for this use\not to park here for the day’s event.
Food availability –
A variety of foods will be available in the park (vendors) from 11am to 7pm.
In addition, around the town center core, there are both restaurants and grocery stores available (McDonald’s, QFC etc.)
Parking availability –
The Mercer Island festival staff has asked us to utilize two areas for parking:
Neighborhood streets (free and plentiful within residential housing area) or
Parking garage\lot at the Farmers New World Life Insurance Co. (a few blocks away from the park).
Other items of interest –
The SRS will have at least one tent (10 foot by 20 foot) setup for the robot pit area – for checkin and Qualification along with a work area – tables and chairs will be available here for builders.
AC power will be available via a generator that the festival staff will supply for general use. The SRS will have extension cord(s) and power bars available off the generator for use within the pit area.
For general contest spectator use, the festival staff will have a set of bleachers available for use.
Additional information –
- The city of Mercer Island requires each robot builder (per robot entrant) to sign a liability waiver before starting the contest. We will do this at time of robot check-in\qualification.
- No Wifi is available within the park.
- Websites for reference –
- o City of Mercer Island Summer Celebration
- o City of Mercer Island directions to Mercerdale Park
- o Google Maps detail on Mercerdale Park location
- Physical addresses for reference –
- o The Mercer Island Thrift Store
- 7710 SE 34th Street Mercer Island, WA 98040-3427
- This is the most reliable\easiest to navigate to GPS location for the park to use – parking lot adjoins park.
- o Farmers New World Life Insurance Co.
- 3003 77th Ave SE Mercer Island, WA 98040-2837
- This lot contains a large town center parking garage and parking lot. It is located a few blocks walking distance from the park.
- o The Mercer Island Thrift Store